Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12:27PM
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 c. granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 16 oz. fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Fold in strawberries. Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.